Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Car troubles will not break my spirit

Here's my Flintstone Mobile pictured last year:



It was a hot day yesterday (for Colorado Springs) and even though my car is parked in a carport, she's used to being parked in a garage where it could get warm but stay relatively cool given the outside temps. I've had problems with her not wanting to start when it's warm and usually she will eventually comply with my request but yesterday she refused. After some googling, apparently early 90s Hondas and Acuras have problems with the main relay for the fuel injection system (which I can probably replace myself as it's located under the dash). I really needed to run a couple of errands and luckily she did comply in the evening and luckily my bank has an ATM inside the vestibule as the ATM outside is not serviced by the bank...so the deposit I needed to make was done and put on today's business as the other can take up to three days...

It was one of those afternoons where I really felt I could walk up to the liquor store to get something to drown the feelings of helplessness and such but I stayed the course and didn't go.

Sleep was very disjointed and have been fighting taking a nap all afternoon so here I sit...rather than leaving the house (if the car will start) I have been watching TV, cruising around the 'net and painted some skewers black...I know, odd. But I did it for this:



That is what sits next to my monitor. The weather station needs replacing but the atomic clock, indoor temp and humidity work so I am hanging on to it until I get a new one. The remote worked but the two quit communicating so I discarded it when I moved.

The white thing is a 12x12 tile in a white granite (I think, it's been a while since I worked in a tile store) that has black/silver and brown/gold flecks. I have two of them that were in the garage of the house but neither my landlord nor I knew where they came from so I brought them to the apartment anyway. I knew I would find a use for them.

The beehive vase is actually an oil cruet I got at the dollar store that has the stopper and spout. When I was at Tuesday Morning the other day, I saw the same exact (no difference what-so-ever) cruet minus the stopper and spout for $3.99! I think the original price they said was something like $9.99. I kid you not, it even had the same manufacturing lines of a diecast type (non handmade) bottle.

The candles and the holders are from the dollar store and the rock is a very soft river rock I picked up one day and it was so smooth, I couldn't resist keeping it. I'm an odd person.

The orange sticks are from one of the dollar store placemats which started to come apart that I didn't feel like fixing so I put some in the cruet with brown sand, painted some bamboo skewers black (orange and black aren't just for Halloween IMO) and there you go. I have other plans for the cruet as a vase but will get to that when I get to that.

The dark brown square thing is a simple cork coaster I painted with brown paint and now that I have found my hot glue gun, I plan on adding some jute on the tops somehow, in some fashion...

So, I am trying hard to stay awake until an hour that makes sense to go to bed. Too early and I am up around 2:00 am and that's just wrong. Too late and I will pass that point of no return.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using the cruet for the diffuser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen - Oh yeah, look around the house, yard sales, etc...there are a lot of things that can be used for a diffuser. I was at Target last week and was shocked at the pricing for such simple vessels for diffusers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! So those things are called cruets...now I know. That's much easier to type than olive oil dispenser :)

    ReplyDelete