Sunday, October 25, 2009

Working With What You Have

My schefflera cutting needed a more presentable place to dwell:



Like this:



Use what you have:



Carefully place bamboo skewers against square, (coffee helps):



Measure, tape, pencil 3 1/2" line, cut with needlenose pliers while watching some fly across room, tape, repeat with the now shorter skewers:



Wrap around plastic tub/container, tie with jute twine, remove tape:



Happy Liz. Happy plant.

Virtually no cost because I had everything on hand.

Hope everyone has a fine week!

EDITS to link back to various "link parties" this week to appear below. Changes as they warrant. Click through and see what everyone else is up to!

First is: Sanctuary Arts Before and After Links (hope my little project is within the scope of the link party...if not, I feel like a dope, I don't think I have linked over on her blog before).

Of course: Metamorphosis Monday on Between Naps on the Porch. Yep, pretty sure this fits because my little schefflera has new digs to show off her growing branches and is transforming with each week.

Tuesday means: DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land. Always a lot of projects here to see there so make some time in your day as there are usually around 200 links to click through to view creativity at its finest.

Thursday means: Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage. Another link party that you should put aside some time. Glad that she's having it today because I am stuck at home with nothing to do.

Finally Friday: Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous! Of course I didn't pay full price for my project...the paper clip container would have gone in the trash several weeks ago but I am not one to throw things away. The bamboo skewers I cut up I've had for forever and a day which I bought at King Soopers (our flavor of Kroger) and it's been so long I haven't a clue what I paid for them while the jute was leftover from other projects so basically it was all FREE!

19 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun to make something without spending any money? Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - Thank you. It's very satisfying to do something like that when you don't have money. Thank you for stopping on by.

    Patti - It is a lot of fun. I really enjoy the process of creating but it's so much more when you work with you what is already on hand. Thank you and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever! Thanks for joining in on the party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are so clever. What a great way to add some texture.
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen R. - Thank you. BTW, your blog is on my daily blog run. Glad you hosted a "link party" I love those!

    Angela - Thank you, it was a fun project born out of boredom and lack of money. Those are the type of projects that have a higher satifaction level.

    Thanks you two for dropping on by. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out great! The best part is that it doesn't look DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of available resources!

    Wanted to stop by and thank you for the time you took to comment on my blog--wall design "issue." I was not at all offended..as I said--I need help! I will be using some of your suggestions for sure.

    HOpe you come back later to see the new wall...

    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are my kind of gal- using what you have!

    great job

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kasey - thanks...that's an awesome compliment.

    Red Writing - Glad my comment was fine, I was a bit concerned. :-) I look forward to seeing what you've done with your space! Using what you have is a great way to keep resources out of the trash, at least for a little while anyway.

    Mary Ellen - Thank you. I get a small rush from using what's already on hand.

    Thanks to each of you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Perfect thing to see when the snow is blowing sideways and it's cold enough to just want to ball up on the couch with a blanket and the cat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Zen!! I like it a lot!

    Welcome to a new world from a nineteen year veteran of A.A. w/ADD (which I LOVE). ADD'ers are sooooooooo creative. I'm convinced we're the normal ones. heh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adrienne - I'm not a fan of most asian inspired decor but some things just kind of work out that way for me. I have an eclectic sense of decor I guess.

    My ADD sure makes life interesting. I can hyper focus sometimes and lose complete track of time or I am going from one thing to the next. I was not a very good student because of the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a creative idea. I love the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you H. Nester. Super simple and just my price. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty cute - so many places to link up to, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute idea, and my favorite kind of project...FREE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a smart clever idea. I just love what you can come up with for free. Like they say necessity is the mother of invention.
    Have a blessed Sunday...Tracy

    P.S. Please stop by and visit me at http://cottonpickincute.blogspot.com and don't forget to enter my fall giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathy, Laural, Cindy & Tracy Suzanne - thank you much for dropping by my little corner of the blog world. :-)

    I am frugal by nature so when things are highly discounted or free it sometimes is more treasured for some reason. You combine those with a DIY project and we've got a SCORE! (insert hockey announcer voice there)

    Hope you all have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea Liz! It's frugal but fun and shows we don't need a whole lotta money to find Fabulous...for less! Thanks for sharing and linkin' up to Frugalicious Friday again!

    Jane @ Finding Fabulous

    ReplyDelete